sobota, 29 grudnia 2018

Reviews #194; #195 - What if it's unrequited? - The upsite of unrequited - Becky Albertalli; What if it's us? - Becky Albertalli & Adam Silvera

I barely know him. I guess that is every relationship. You start with nothing and maybe end with everything.

#194

The upsite of unrequited is next book written by Becky Albertalli that I bought and read this year. After reading this one and the other two, I can sincerly admit that Becky Albertalli is one of my favourite authors of all time.
The book tells us about a girl Molly whose love account is 26 crushes and 0 kisses. What's more, her twin sister Cassie has just got a girlfriend that has a friend who looks like an ideal, cute potential boyfriend. However, what if Hipster Will isn't crush number 27? If no one is, even not Reid - Molly's nerdy coworker?
As it turns out, The upsite of unrequited is another book from so-called Simonverse. The main characters are Abby's cousins and the plot takes place between Simon's and Leah's story. I absolutely admire all the connections in these 3 books, although I mixed up the order.
Molly is one of these characters who I feel emotional attachment to. I can relate with her problems, confusions ans doubts. Moreover, I enjoyed her delving into love issues, because it made me realize something very important - it's mot unrequited love that hurts, but it's the rejected one. It is so complicated feeling that it can come in any moment and paralyse us totally when we experience it. I think that the key point is not looking for love, but just being open to it and ready to accept when it comes. Our emotions surprise us a lot and we can't avoid with it.


Once again we get LGBT+ relationship in Becky Albertalli's book, but I like the fact that it's more subtle and main character's matters are totally different from Simon's and Leah's ones. The author creates new personalities, doesn't use a well-known scheme of a fat girl who becomes surprisingly beautiful in a moment. Molly's story is just so casual that it could happen next to me and I wouldn't notice it. And, don't get me wrong. It's a huge advantage of this books. Furthermore, I think that Molly and her final love might be one of my favourite bookish pairings.
This books made me cry and laugh, but what's the most important is a beautiful looking-for-love story with something even more valueable beneath. Not only does Becky Albertalli show real love, but also gives faith in it and courage not to give up.

#195

What if it's us? was one of my most anticipated releases of 2018. This novel, written by an amazing duet - Becky Albertalli and Adam Silvera, is a story of two boys. One of them wants to say goodbye to his past, the second hopes for great future.
Arthur and Ben meet at the post office. After first positive impression, they leave without asking for any data or contact. Full of regrets, they start to look for each other, but it might be quite difficult in New York. When they finally find one another, the great love story has a chance to begin. But what if the universe has different plan?
It is clearly visible from the beginning that Artur is Becky's character and Ben Adam's. Arthur has a lot of things in common with Simon and we can see some typical features of personality, known already from other Albertalli's books. He's also so innocent and new in relationship stuff that it becomes really cute to watch him delving into love world. Ben is definitely more experienced, but his attitude isn't as mature as I would expect. However, in my opinion, they create a great couple and I supported them with all my heart.


If anyone believes in love and destiny, this story is definitely the right one for them. The authors show the brutal reality of world, teenagers' doubts and issues they have to deal with. They might be really prosaic, like fear of first kiss or first serious relationship, but also more serious ones. I also enjoyed the whole thing of looking for each other, because I've recently survived something similar and I know how awful is the feeling of regret and loss. The book made me think more about destiny and fighting for people I love. Shall I let them go if it's not us? What if it breaks someone's heart? Is it really worth caring about the universe's plans?
I can't remember crying during reading a book as much as I did while going through Arthur and Ben's story. The ending is absolutely heart-breaking and unbelievable for me, but despite this fact, What if it's us? deserves to be one of my favourite books of all time.
It's sweet and bitter, funny and sad, but, what's the most important, it shows real fight against the universe. Can the biggest and the most honest love win over our destiny?

Ines de Castro

Brak komentarzy :

Prześlij komentarz

Szablon stworzony przez Blokotka. Wszelkie prawa zastrzeżone.